Making a ring
I recently caught up with a good friend, Vicky, who rivals me in terms of how many different hobbies she has. Her kitchen worktop was covered in jewellery making tools, and she asked if I wanted to learn how to make a simple copper ring. Of course I did!
1. We started off with a reel of 2mm copper wire. Vicky says it works with anything from 1.5mm up to 3mm
2. The wire was bent around a metal mandrel (nice word) to a size slightly larger than the finished ring
3. We cut the wire to make a hoop
4. And then bent it using special plastic pliers to make the ends of the hoop line up
5. Next we got some jewellery solder
6. And smeared it across the ends of the hoop
7. The ring was then placed on a fireproof block
8. And heated gently until the solder flowed across the joint and sealed it.
9. We cooled the rings down in water
10. And then placed them in a solution of vinegar and salt pickle to remove the oxidised copper
11. The rings were washed in water again and the black cupric oxide rubbed off with a finger
12. Leaving just the rather beautiful red cuprous oxide
13. The rings were then put back onto the mandrell and hammered to be round and the correct size. Sadly this knocked off most of the cuprous oxide.
14. They were then polished using an impressive array of different grades of sandpaper
15. Ta da!
In ten days we're leaving the UK for new adventures in Spain...Read more
Archive2016December 2016 (2)November 2016 (2)October 2016 (2)September 2016 (3)August 2016 (4)July 2016 (5)June 2016 (4)May 2016 (4)April 2016 (5)March 2016 (4)February 2016 (4)January 2016 (5)2015December 2015 (4)November 2015 (4)October 2015 (5)September 2015 (4)August 2015 (4)July 2015 (4)June 2015 (4)May 2015 (5)April 2015 (4)March 2015 (4)February 2015 (4)January 2015 (4)
What's this about?
Hi I'm Mat and I'm addicted to new hobbies. I used to think this was a bad thing but now I'm embracing it.
Writing them all up in this blog encourages me to finish projects, and helps me keep track of which ones I've tried.
If you love a bit of schadenfreude then you'll enjoy this week's post where one of my projects goes completely wrong...
Also in Making things...
I've wanted to try this ever since I saw Fight Club! I've seen several methods for making soap, but I'm always attracted to using dangerous chemicals, so lye seemed the obvious way to go...