The perfect Virgin Mary
I stopped drinking about two years ago and I love it (more about why here).
But the one thing that I find really irritating is the range of non-alcoholic drinks in pubs. There are lots of expensive sweet drinks (coke, lemonade etc), loads of really expensive sweet drinks (J2O, Appletise etc.) and almost no non-sweet drinks at all.
The only two good non-alcholic drinks that most pubs can do is a lemon, lime and bitters or a Virgin Mary, and both drinks seem to prove a real challenge to bar staff. With the former I've been served a bitter shandy with angostura bitters (so wrong) and most Virgin Marys are just tomato juice and tabasco (just dull).
I knew I could do better so I've had a play, and here's my recipe for the perfect Virgin Mary.
- Chilli sauce, I'm using some awesome Bad Boy Chilli mash
- A small bowl of ground salt and pepper, mixed together
- Lemon slices
- Garlic, I'm using garlic pureé because it dissolves more easily
- English mustard
- Worcestershire sauce (or soy sauce for vegetarians)
- Horseradish, I'm using grated fresh horseradish for extra fire
- Tomato juice
- Turn your glass upside down, and dunk it 1cm into fresh water, then dunk into the salt and pepper to coat the rim of the glass, as shown on the left, below.
- Mix all your ingredients (I'll leave the proportions to you) into a nasty brown sludge, as shown in the middle photo below.
- Add the sludge and a small amount of tomato juice to the glass, and stir well.
- Add the remaining tomato juice, stir well then add the ice and lemon.
The finished drink
Any tips for other ingredients to make it extra super awesome?
In ten days we're leaving the UK for new adventures in Spain...Read more
Archive2016December 2016 (2)November 2016 (2)October 2016 (2)September 2016 (3)August 2016 (4)July 2016 (5)June 2016 (4)May 2016 (4)April 2016 (5)March 2016 (4)February 2016 (4)January 2016 (5)2015December 2015 (4)November 2015 (4)October 2015 (5)September 2015 (4)August 2015 (4)July 2015 (4)June 2015 (4)May 2015 (5)April 2015 (4)March 2015 (4)February 2015 (4)January 2015 (4)
What's this about?
Hi I'm Mat and I'm addicted to new hobbies. I used to think this was a bad thing but now I'm embracing it.
Writing them all up in this blog encourages me to finish projects, and helps me keep track of which ones I've tried.
If you've never made butter at home, I'd really recommend it...
Also in Food and drink...
My life can be broadly categorised into four phases by the kind of cereal that I have for breakfast, like the classic Ages of Man from Greek mythology: The Coco Pops age (4-14) This was the golden age, where the most important thing in my life was opening the next box of Coco Pops to find out which toy is in the packet...